Doughboys

So as usual I’m going to pick a couple of things to talk about which really stuck out for me, instead of trying to cover all 70-odd pages, and as it happens the two both come from the first chapter of our reading.

The first thing which caught my attention is the way that the military higher-ups spied on the soldiers. They read correspondence, which I realize is well within their right, but they also sent spies out to ask the soldiers about their experiences. This seems like a really sneaky way to find out what’s going on. I should think that if they had bothered to ask more candidly they could really have avoided some trouble. For one thing, the could have performed the interviews in such a way as to get an honest response, such as anonymously or perhaps by questionaire, and had they made it clear that they wanted to know what the average soldier felt, these average soldiers would have been much more sympathetic to their officers, knowing that someone was trying to take their opinions and feelings into account.

The other thing that most strongly stuck with me is the allegations of abuse in army prisons. Of course, I think of our modern day Guantanamo Bay, though it’s not much the same. It does prove that this kind of thing, prisoner abuse, is not by any means a one-time problem for our country but had you asked me I certainly would not have said that Americans were recieving this kind of treatment from other Americans. It was a pretty shocking thing to read and I don’t really understand it.

Published in:Uncategorized |on October 1st, 2008 |Comments Off on Doughboys

Both comments and pings are currently closed.