Many Die, U Shall Also

That book was a really really good read. I was sorry to finish it, even though it has to be done in time for me to write my blog post.

I haven’t totally digested what I’ve read, but I like what Fussell has to say about public perceptions of the war after it had ended. He talks about J. Glenn Gray’s idea that when the atom bomb was dropped the soldiers still stationed in Europe were somehow ashamed of that. I don’t think that idea makes any sense at all. Wouldn’t any of us be glad to avoid the hell of going back to war in yet another country? As Fussell points out, it is a really idealistic thing to judge the decision to drop the atom bomb by whether it was moral. For the soldiers there, it wasn’t a matter of right and wrong it was a matter of life and death- their own, not that of the enemy. I hadn’t thought a whole lot about that, even though over the years I’ve sat through numerous classroom debates about whether this was right or not. Seeing it through our author’s eyes, there’s no debate to be had. It’s kill or be killed, on a much larger scale.

Published in:Uncategorized |on October 20th, 2008 |2 Comments »

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Many Die, U Shall Also”

1. leia Says:

When I read your blog after reading the book, I was on the same page as you. I never thought that the soldiers wouldn’t think twice about dropping the bomb. In war it’s be eat or be eaten. The men were scared, tired and just wanted to go home. This was the easiest and faster way for them to get there. I think that’s just sad.

2. dchacona Says:

I was on the fence to about this issue but after reading about it from the view of a soldier I agree that it had to be done. Also I read somewhere that if they would have continued their plan with the invasion the death totals were estimated to be upwards to 500,000.