“Setters, Not Pointers”

Yeah, for anyone who watched the interview with Frances Liberty, I realize that’s just a bit off color, but it cracked me up. I’m really enjoying reading her interview, which I chose on Meg’s advice. I also am really enjoying her sense of humor, and of course I’m very impressed by her determination. I find it really cool how she enlisted against her father’s wishes, but that he later came to respect what she had done. In general I really respect anyone who knows what they want to do or what’s right for them and does it regardless of what anyone else has to say about it, and that makes Ms. Liberty very much my kind of person.

Also on Meg’s suggestion, I’m watching next the interview with Ann Caracristi, who worked as a cryptanologist during World War Two. I think this sounds like the most impossible, exciting job in the world. It’s not something I would have the patience for, but it sounds like such an exciting thing to be in on, to be learning the enemy’s secrets and things like that. It is also a very unique way to have a great impact on the war effort of the time. I am kind of intrigued by her idea that leaving the service was the Patriotic thing to do. I’m not entirely sure I understand why she felt that way, however. From her explanation, I can see where it would have felt like the practical thing to do, but I don’t see how it’s particularly patriotic.

Lastly, I’m watching the interview with Rhona Prescott. The first thing I found interesting was that she actually enlisted as she did, in the Army, so that she could go to Vietnam. I think it’s really interesting that with all we hear about people avoiding actually going to Vietnam, she was figuring the angles so as to get there. What I’m really finding ironic is the number of times she requested to be stationed in Vietnam and the army kept sending her elsewhere when she must have been one of a minority of people who would rather be in Vietnam than the United states at that time. It’s also really appalling that her family, who had been involved in exactly the work that she did, wouldn’t believe what she said about her experiences in Vietnam.

Published in:Uncategorized |on November 19th, 2008 |2 Comments »

Both comments and pings are currently closed.

2 Responses to ““Setters, Not Pointers””

1. stephanie Says:

I am also so impressed by Frances Liberty’s determination and just her strength in general. It was really inspiring to hear her talk about her father’s initial disapproval, but how he eventually respected to her decision. I think it is especially important to think about how hard this decision would be in today’s society, let alone when Frances made her decision. What I find especially sad is that I never hear about women like Liberty–when people discuss veterans, women are usually left out.

2. stephanie Says:

ahhh, i meant “respected her decision” not “respected to her decision”!!!